Sunday, August 3, 2014

Weekly Update 8/3/14

Wow, you are right. I just looked up the Ogden Temple on LDS.org. It is way different, but I like it more.

 

Yeah, we dropped G (investigator). Basically, he just wanted to prove us wrong. He was unwilling to listen to what we had to say, wouldn't let us defend our beliefs or Joseph Smith, and said he has heard it all twice before. He wouldn't even let me read a verse out of JS-H because “he doesn't read the books of false prophets.” He is 100% confident we are wrong, 100% confident in the gematria (numerical proof of the Bible, and not in the Book of Mormon, I guess), and when asked if he was willing to risk his Eternal Salvation on it, he said he would. He also said a lot of things that were contradictory. He is still really caught up on our belief that God was once a man and we can become like Him. I asked him what he believed would happen to him after he died, and he said his body would go in the ground, (Right) and his spirit somewhere to await judgment (Go on), and then he would be judged and either go to the lake of fire (Okay), or he would be resurrected with an immortal and incorruptible body (at which I interjected "You mean like God’s body, right?") to co-reign with Christ on Earth for 1000 years, and then after that he was not willing to say, because the Bible doesn't tell him. He got pretty argumentative and was contradicting his own beliefs, which was sad but funny. I think he is a good guy, but like many, he is blinded by the cunning of the devil.

 

I bore testimony to stand against him at the last day. He said I didn't have the authority to do that and that the curse would return to me. I told him I accepted that because I do have the authority to say such a thing, holding the Melchizedek Priesthood of Jesus Christ. He asked something about the Elders of the church; it sounded like he wanted to report us, or we were stepping out of our bounds, to which we replied by stating that we are the Elders of the Church. He got pretty flustered at that. So yeah, he is gone now.

 

We also gave a blessing to my companion this week, because he got cursed at in tongues, and it made him feel sick. Pretty funny really.

 

When we went door knocking one day, the first person we talked to told us to get jobs, because "the rest of us have to work for a living" and then slammed the door on us. What he doesn't understand is that we are unpaid volunteers, along with all the clergy in our church, and he seems to have forgotten the unemployment rate of New Zealand, and how many people just ride the benefit.

 

Also, we had three or four days that were really warm this week. I worked a little on my winter tan. One night, it was still 20 degrees at 8:30, after the sun had been down for at least three or so hours. The warm days would be what I would consider a really nice summer day in Utah, but it was weird because it is the middle of winter here in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment