Sunday, August 31, 2014

Weekly Update 8/31/14

I am doing well.

 

No, we have not visited that sister again (less-active sister who received a blessing), but I did go with the Elders Quorum President on splits night. I think this was the first time we had enough people to split into four companionships. We went to go see Brother M, who is in the rehab section of the hospital. He talked for ages, so I think he is recovering fine. Some words of wisdom I received from him, "You know what those people out there need Elder? TLC, the Tender Lovin’ Touch." Sure thing Brother M.

 

His wife is also quite the character. I don't think she really likes the missionaries. Two weeks ago, the Bishop asked everyone to sit towards the front, to fill that part of the chapel rather than everyone spreading out, because it just isn't necessary. So last week, the bishopric asked us to kind of block the aisle toward the back, and encourage people to sit up front. I had the most choice experience of standing in her way. When she went to get past me, I told her how Bishop asked that we all move up. "Why?" Uh, I don't know, so we are all closer? "Why?" So we can feel each other’s spirit maybe? "Why?" So we can all be like one big family? To which I received "Elder, I reserve the right to sit wherever I please. That's why Pakeha like you invented the loud speaker." Well, alrighty then. To some people, pakeha is really offensive, and others don't really care. Usually I don't care, because I am American, not a European New Zealander. But the way she used it, I assume she meant it offensively. So yesterday, while taking flak trying to shepherd people up, I just let her pass. "Don't just stand there Elder, I am going to sit there."

 

The area is going alright. I still think the will combine the areas or something, but I don't know, as I am not the mission president. It is kind of starting to warm up I think. I can't really tell haha. The other companionship stayed together. We are now on week four of the transfer. Yes, we did go to the Chinese restaurant twice. It is alright. We also had a lunch at the Indian restaurant in town.

 

So apparently, the senior couple that was supposed to come to this area got delayed, so they won't be here for another month or two probably. Our General Authority coming for mission tour also got delayed, so we are still having Zone Conference on the 12th, but it won't be a mission tour.

 

We usually help out at the rest home, but they are basically in quarantine right now because of a virus going around. I think a few of the old folks have already died.

 

I have been practicing my sewing this week too. I finally fixed the big rip I put into my black pants a few months ago (I think I told you about that), and I also fixed the hem on them. I think it looks pretty half way alright.

 

DSC03394

 

DSC03397

 

 

(Queue parent sigh!!!)

 

Last night, we were walking around in town, and we decided to go out on the main road and look at the bus times to maybe go to Hastings today. We heard sirens, and next thing we knew, we had front row seats to part of a high speed chase. There were probably 15+ cops chasing one white SUV and they had shot out all the wheels. It was swerving all over the place. He came over onto the other side of the road and made another person dodge him, swerving into a metal fence. We aren't really sure what the cause was or when they finally caught the people, but we almost died, so it was really cool. Hopefully it will be in the newspaper or something.

 

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11317187

 

The Book of Mormon study is good. I am up to Mosiah when it talks about the record of Zeniff.

 

That is the week for me, thank you for your love and support.

 

Have a nice week!

 

2 comments:

  1. Why do I see a care package with a new pair of black pants in Elder Paulson's near future???? Parent sigh was a good reader chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jen... some things never change. He likes to push my buttons every chance he gets. ;-) By looking at the pictures, I'm pretty sure he was wearing the pants while he was sewing them too.

    ReplyDelete