Monday, October 27, 2014

Weekly Update 10/27/14

So fasting last week was really good. It was kind of hard because I still had brownies in the microwave, and District Meeting with someone going home, but I just had to keep reminding myself that I was fasting for W, and the members of the ward who are sick, which is at least half of them. No progress yet with W, and he wasn't able to come to church, but I have faith. We still haven't caught up with J and T. We left a note on their door last week, and it is still there, so I have no idea what happened to them.

 

My garden- I think I killed one of the beans, but the other one is sprouting really big. The pumpkin plant is big, but everyone is telling me it will be ages for an actual pumpkin. I need to stake the tomatoes, but I don't want to buy stuff for it. Two of the three tomato plants have little yellow flowers.

 

About mom’s upcoming Missionary Mom dinner hosted by a Tongan sister- Is the sister full Tongan, or is she like second generation American? If she is that, then it should be ok, but if she is straight from the Islands, that will be awesome. If it is a full feed, you should be eating lots of chop suey, some chicken, maybe some taro, maybe octopus, and probably some corned beef. Put on a kg or 3, it'll be fun, trust me.

 

The ward is, well…yeah. Yesterday, we had 43 in attendance at Sacrament, with six being visitors, a high councilman and six missionaries…and that constitutes a ward.

 

This week for service we cut down a tree and finished a dog house with the S family. Cutting down trees is just really satisfying. Yup, we still go to the rest home pretty often.

 

The weather is pretty good, still kind of weird though.

 

We have a few potentials, but not a lot, and the ones that might be interested we can't really see. We worked with one of our members for a few hours this week, but most of the people we hoped to see were not home, probably from the long weekend (it is Labour weekend).

 

Studying has been good. I am still in 1 Nephi after starting the Book of Mormon over, highlighting all the different names of the members of the Godhead in purple, and any of the Christlike attributes I missed last time in blue.

 

I don't think we had dinner with anyone this week, other than with the other Elders. Elder Zollinger cooked a roast and wanted us to come over and give his companion a blessing, and then we ate their food. But we are having dinner with George and Liz on Saturday and more people signed up for this month than last month to feed us.

 

Yesterday, we visited George and Liz, who are always super funny. They both wear hearing aids and they can't hear that they are both whistling really badly, and they also can't hear what the other says half the time, so they end up in yelling matches, which is hilarious. George said he wanted to take us to see the shoe fence before we leave the area, then Liz was talking about something else for like five minutes, and then George piped back in, "I know, we can go now!" So we went on a Sunday drive with them. George forgot how to get there, but he ended up showing us this big stump carving, and Liz kept telling us to keep praying, so we wouldn't die. I recorded parts of the scenery, but really I was just trying to record them talking, because they both say the darndest things.

 

Elder B has been really sick, probably since the MTC or before, but he has been fighting it off or hiding it or something. Elder Zollinger took him into the doctor, and they took blood tests and all that, and are now referring him to a brain specialist. They are keeping him here to figure out what is wrong because it’s easier to get treatment here than where he’s from.

 

This week I made banana bread, Paulson Fried Chicken with 8 secret spices, onion rings, and microwave cupcakes because we don't have a muffin tin. Also New Zealand got a new flavor of Doritos, called "Cool Ranch" – sounds exotic to me.

 

DSC03530

 

DSC03528

 

DSC03531

 

DSC03547

 

DSC03523

No comments:

Post a Comment